RE: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.2869 - Tracey Smith

Chip you have basically described my horse to a T!  She does fine on hydration at CTR's...always drinks well before and after heading out on the trail...so it makes me think when we do start doing 50's she will learn to "take it when you can get it".

Tracey
-----Original Message-----
From: Chipnml@xxxxxxx [mailto:Chipnml@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 7:28 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Tracey Smith
Subject: Re: [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.2869

My first endurance horse never drank well on the trail when I did 25's.  Since he drank well at camp and always got superb scores in CTR, I never worried about it.  Once I started doing 50's with him, all it took was a hot, humid, hilly ride, and he was stopping at every puddle to drink by the third loop.  Another thing I used to do was take them out on a strenuous hot-weather conditioning ride where I knew there would be easy access to water somewhere, and bring them right out of the pasture without giving them time to drink before we left.

Chip