Re: [RC] Temperature Variance in Working Horses - firedancefarms

In the CT region, we used to take temps regularly as part of the vetting.  I don't know why they don't anymore.  If the horse was 103, that was marginal, if it was 104, it wasn't going out.  I remember one horse was 107 and the vet was very worried.  I think it would be a good idea on these hot humid rides.

Unicorn Hunt was HOT.  I do not know what the heat index was ..the temp was 95 and it was very humid.  HI up here in OK have been 107-117 for several weeks.  We do not ride when the HI is higher than the horse's reasonable body temp...103.
I believe UHunt was about max for safety.  We all kept our horses wet the entire time, and many had CRIs jump.  A lot of riders stayed in the vet check longer than their time, and everyone took very very good care of their horses!  No horse was treated.  The ride was in the shade of the forest.  I think the worst thing for our horses at this ride was there was no breeze!
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms