[RC] Heat index - Laura

I have heard the term heat index before and wonder if someone could explain it to me.  I am thinking it is the sum when you add the air temperature and the humidity percent.  Is this true?  And once you have  this heat index number, then how do you use it?  What steps do you take with your riding the higher the number is?  And what number is the cut off for not riding at all?
Thanks,
Laura, where humidity is never much of a factor out West, but heat sure is