Re: [RC] Since we are on the subject of water - Truman Prevatt

Tracey Smith wrote:

Since we are on the subject of water, I need some advice on how to get my
mare to drink better on the trail.

She drinks great at my trailer when I offer her water (comes from home of
course) but has not been drinking on the trail like I'd like her to. So
far, we have just been doing 25's but we are training harder as either this
fall or after the first of the year

We see this post a lot - not necessarly from Tracy but from many others. My wife an I were talking about this the other day. Why don't we have this problem? My old mare would drink anytime there was water. The gelding I ride now has stopped to take a drink a mile out on an endurance ride ( it was a lolly pop loop and the water was there for the horses comingi in but he took a big drink going out).

Why do my horses drink early and often while many other people have problems with their horses drinking the first 20 or 30 miles. I think I know - my horses didn't start out as endurance horses. They started out as trail horses. They had a good year of just hacking around on the trails. When we went camping it was to hack around. They learned to drink in a relaxed laid back trail ride not the pressure of an endurance ride. Not to say we weren't moving on and covering ground, but it was still a trail ride.

By the time either of them showed up to an endurance ride they had a year or so of relaxed trail rides where drinking was just part of being out in the woods. From day one my horses drank early and often at rides. If my horse didn't drink for 20 miles - he would be pulled.

My new horse is now a trail horse. Yes we may trot for long stretches but it's still a trail ride, it's still relaxed and he is probably a better drinker than the other two. He won't go past a big clump of grass and typically has a big wad of grass in his mouth he is working on as we go down the trail.

Maybe the key is to lay back take it easy and do a lot of trail riding. There is plenty of time to hit the endurance trail after they have the skills necessary to do it. Drinking and eatting are two necessary skills - probably the two most necessary if you want to do anything other than LD's.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics