[RC] Crossing Water, ATHA style - April Allison

Nobody says you have to start with water to begin with. We use blue tarps tacked down to the ground, then not tacked down.
Start with leading your horse across, praising each step. Most will bolt across after they finally take that first step. Thats ok, when he will calmly go across the tarp with it tacked down so it wont move,ride over it from all angles.
Then  untack the tarp so it and let it shift and move with him. Walk him across until he is ok with it. Then ride him across.  My daughters horse was crossing a tarp at a demo at an expo and wrapped the tarp around his ankle for about 10 feet. He never  looked down or broke his trot.  Yes he is an arab
Yeah, I know a blue tarp is not water. But it is amazing how much easier horses who have put the time in crossing tarps do when first crossing water. You also get to do the most scary work next to the house where somebody can dial 911. hehe
If water is unavailable, the tarps are used to pass the verification of water crossing to earn the level stamp for ATHA trail certification. We do try to cross actual water when we can, even to the point of digging and filling our own puddles.
April, Byhalia MS