[RC] Field trials - part four - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bill Proctor oasisarab@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

And the last email exchange that I will put up here
This one from Tom?s consulting Vet

<<Re:  Papers showing changes in fat vs carb utilization for energy depending
on diet.

Key findings in the first paper are summarized in the statement that:

"Metabolism was studied during 1 h of  exercise at 67% (V) over dotO(2max)
performed in the fasted state. 2% FAT  resulted in a 27% reduction (P<
0.05) in total fat oxidation vs. 22% FAT without altering the stable
isotopically determined rates of plasma free fatty acid or glucose
disappearance."

This was a three week trial, diet first week providing 32% of calories from
fat (don't know why they did that???), then a 2 week adaptation period on
either 2 or 22% of calories from fat.  Numbers clearly show that when the
fat was available, the muscle used it and vice versa.  Particularly
interesting was that the rate of utilization of substrate from the blood
did not change for either glucose or FFAs, indicating, as I suspected, the
muscle is largely self-regulating when it comes to energy supply.  The low
fat diet was documented to result in low triglyceride stores in the muscle.
If rate of disapperance of FFAs from the blood was the same but overall
fat oxidation decreased on the low fat diet, this must be where the
difference lies. The muscle easily substituted carbs for fat (glycogen for
intramuscular TG stores) to get the job done.  However, you can look at the
this from the flip side and say that when the fats are available, the
muscle will use them instead of carbs.

Relevance to Smokey:  Not entirely sure.  The natural equine diet (no added
fat in grain mix or supplemental oils) is low in fat to begin with, no more
than the 2% figure, so Smokey, and all horses not being fat supplemented,
would be starting out primed to use intramuscular carbs over fats in the
first place.  If there is a linear relationship between HR and VO2 max when
working below the anaerobic threshold, he would be estimated to have been
working at somewhere between 55+% to low 60's% of VO2max, a little lower
than what was used in this experiment, on his heaviest training day.  I
can't access the numbers for the two easier days but I'm assuming average
working heart rate was lower on those days, working at 50% or so of VO2max,
maybe lower.  (Jump in here any time Tom!  Not sure those figures are
correct.)

At least a partial explanation for what we saw with Smokey's numbers lies
in the observation that the rate of disappearance from the blood of either
glucose or FFAs was stable on both the high and the low fat diets and was
independent of the intramuscular levels of fat or glycogen.  To explain a
rise in blood glucose with a stable rate of extraction from the blood, we
need to have either a higher blood glucose to begin with or a change in the
extraction rates that is directly linked to the intensity of the exercise.
Kandi's poster was hypothesizing that at the heavier work load (but still
well within the aerobic capacity) there would be an increase in release of
FFAs into the blood and in extraction of FFAs from the blood.   To make
Smokey's observed blood glucose pattern fit, the extraction rate for FFAs
would have to increase with the intensity of the aerobic work load, while
the extraction rate for glucose drops.  In other words,  with the higher
intensities he was releasing more FFAs and extracting more FFAs as an
energy source and extracting less of the available glucose.  If this is
true, it explains the numbers.

Another possible explanation is that the rate of extraction of glucose is
linked to the glycogen status of the muscle.  This is where loading would
come in.  If Smokey's glycogen status actually improved between the first
and third work days, which I think is certainly possible given the generous
level of supplementation and relatively low work levels, and if glycogen
status is linked to extraction rate from the blood, he would be extracting
progressively less glucose with each day as long as the intensity of
exercise remained at a relatively low level (which it did).  Don't know if
I have ever seen studies that looked specifically at utilization of blood
glucose in relationship to glycogen status though.  Tom?
======================
Second paper.

Like many, many others, this one confirms an ergogenic benefit for
supplemental carbohydrate during exercise.  However, the intensity of
exercise in this one was much too high to draw any parallels with Smokey's
situation.  I don't know where the cutoff point is (Kandi:  Can your guy
help here?) but at 95% of VO2max there is no way that fats could provide
energy quickly enough to sustain peak performance.  Smokey, however, was
well below that level.
==========================

Third paper

This is the one I think is most pertinent to Smokey.  VO2 max of 55% is
probably right on the nose.  Notice here that while the level of fat
oxidation dropped with the glucose supplementation, that drop was
relatively small.  With no supplementation at all, rate of fat oxidation
was 0.28 +/- 0.023 g/min while in the most effective supplementation
protocol it was still 0.24 +/- 0.023 g/min.

Important to note that **glucose oxidation decreased during exercise
compared to the resting state in all trials - carb supplemented or not**.
This reflects the superior ability of fat to provide calories for low level
aerobic work. The muscle will preserve its glycogen stores by
preferentially burning fats as much as possible to meet energy demands.
CHO oxidation will kick in when the rate of energy generation needed
exceeds what can be obtained from the slow burning fats.

Supplementing carbs was unable to completely reverse this, but did result
in higher CHO oxidation and higher exogenous glucose oxidation when carbs
were supplemented during the work.  This suggests to me that even at only
55% VO2max fats are unable to provide energy quickly enough to meet demand
and exogenous carbohydrates can and will be used, as will glycogen - to a
point.

The most important observation these researchers made in reference to
Smokey was:

"Plasma glucose levels decreased transiently after the
onset of exercise in all trials and then returned to preexercise values in
the W and FG (<similar to>4.5 mmol/l) trials but were elevated by similar
to1.0 mmoYI in the G trial (P < 0.001). "

**In other words, the boys supplemented with the 6% glucose drink had
higher blood glucose levels than the unsupplemented or the glucose and
fructose supplemented groups, and higher than their normal resting glucose,
showing there is definitely a ceiling on how much exogenous glucose can be
used.  This group not only hit the ceiling, they hit at a point where
oxidation of fat was only modestly reduced.**  Giving more glucose beyond
this point would only have driven blood sugars higher.

Smokey hit the ceiling too, partially for the same reasons as in this study
- using only what he needed to make up for the difference from what fats
could not provide quickly enough.  His higher blood glucoses as the days
went on may be related either to better/higher mobilization of FFAs at the
higher intensities (guess this is possible with these low work levels,
Kandi?), and/or (and I suspect more likely) because of a loading effect
over the previous days that allowed him to draw down intramuscular stores
of glycogen to meet glucose needs more efficiently, lowering his reliance
on exogenous glucose.

The final part of this study, which showed increased times to fatigue at
90% peak power, suggests a glycogen sparing effect of the supplementation.
Smokey thus started each subsequent day's ride with more glycogen on board
than he would have had if he had not been supplemented the day before.
Furthermore, he was fed and given more AGL  immediately after work,
packing in yet more glycogen for a loading effect.

As you can see the field trials generated a long list of discussions regarding
blood glucose utilization. This discussion between members of Tom?s list
contained well over 100 posts to the list. It included not only Tom and his Vet
but several members of the list, including Vets, riders and trainers.
The results from these field trials where also duplicated by several other
testers and others that where interested in learning the proper fueling of the
endurance horse. Not all of the result where all exactly the same due to
different horses, weather conditions, terrain, etc. but where all very similar.

As I said at the beginning I will not respond to the flame throwers. I am
retired and just wish to live out the rest of my life (what little of it there
is) in privacy.

In closing, the field trials were real, they took place and were carefully
documented. They are there for any who wish to study and/or deny ever took
place.

This is all I have to say in the matter.

Bill Proctor