Re: [RC] Laminitis and metabolic issues--OT - Chris Paus

If the horse is that bad off, you probably need to report it to the authorities. Maybe the owners are just waiting for the poor thing to die so they won't have to pay for euthanasia... sigh......

chris

DESERTRYDR1@xxxxxxx wrote:
There is a horse across the road that has laminitis and was very skinny and
having problems holding weight prior to developing the laminitis. Not the
typical fat/insulin resistant horse you would expect to see with laminitis. I am
pretty convinced that there is an underlying metabolic cause for it though,
because the horse was not exposed to any of the typical causes of laminitis.
She was not on lush pasture, not getting excessive grain, not pregnant, etc.

I think that the horse won't improve until the underlying cause of the
disease process is discovered and treated. I advised the owner to get bloodwork run
on the horse, which the vet didn't do when he came out. The owner doesn't
have much money, and the horse probably needs to be put down. It is lying down
most of the time, has continued to lose weight, but is peeing a fair amount.
P&R both around 60. It has been 100 degrees here for a couple weeks, and the
heat is only making matters worse, as the horse is lying out in a large drylot
and doesn't have the strength or whatever to move into the shade. Any ideas,
any hope? Sorry to send this to ridecamp, but you guys are my favorite horse
people. jeri