[RC] Thanks for the answer - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My horse loves both and will be only too happy to have them all the time.  I
started
giving him dates simply as a test and found he perked up much quicker after a
ride with
them than without them.  I obviously feed these over and above his forage.
Regards
Andrea>

Yep. Just keep them up throughout the ride. Down-fluxes in blood glucose can be
more dramatic if carb supps are suddenly stopped during a ride. If you ever get
in a situation, for whatever reason, where the horse suddenly is losing
enthusiasm, just stop and call it a day--there's always the next ride and, as
Kim pointed out, piling up finishes or miles is not the key to this sport. The
key is a competitive, survivable endurance athlete.
Self-pulls are a badge of honor.

Rita, a wonderful rider I've known for a long time, typically way out in front,
is extremely sensitive to the happiness of her horses and has often been known
to stop and "have a little picnic" while on the way to a win. At first, I
thought she was nuts doing that. Too touchy-feely for me. You don't win races
stopping for "little picnics". But, over time, I learned what endurance
horsemanship was all about, thanks, in good part, to Rita and Tom. In Dubai,
Rita taught me more about personal courage than I've ever learned elsewhere.
Once you see something like that, you remember it forever.

These days, in need of some inspiration on occasion, remembering Rita falling
off (heat stroke) and getting back up, and falling off, and getting back up,
serves to remind me what a coward I am--or can be. Those images have kept me
alive more than once.

ti