RE: [SPAM] [RC] To Finish is to Win - heidi

"Usually the riders that are dragging or pushing or pulling their horses to
finish at the back of the pack started out more up in the front, and end up
in the back as a result of a 'bonk'. Since even that happens so rarely,"

You know it is a blanket statement like this that can really get to me.

I'm not terribly fond of blanket statements, either, which was why I
objected to Mr. Ivers painting all of those who don't ride to win with
the same brush.

You previously cited Tevis--it is an atypical ride, in that it gathers
some top horses together (hence the comment you heard from the vets
about the front runners looking good) but it also draws a large group
that really doesn't belong there, but is determined to get that buckle.
Hence it DOES lend itself to more "draggers" than AERC rides in
general.

My point is that our motto "To finish is to win" becomes tarnished when there
is only criticism of those that make wrong choices for their horses when
riding at speed or for placing.  I am only trying to bring out the fact that
this does not just occur with "hot shoe" riders but with riders across the
spectrum.

Sure it does.  And it is a travesty in any placing--you're right about
that.  But the point of this discussion started out that it is not the
norm for the sport.  We've all seen the draggers--but they are in such
a minority that most of us can name names.  Some vets are better at
standing up to them than others.  My observation over several years is
that their numbers are in decline, due to better vetting and better
standards.

Certainly you can harm a horse at any point in the pack if he is not
sufficiently prepared to do what he is asked to do.  But to categorize
the non-racers as having this be typical is just as wrong as
characterizing the front runners this way.  And if I were to make any
sort of generalization, it would be that the two areas to watch the
most at a TYPICAL ride (not Tevis) are the unprepared ones trying to
keep up with well-prepared front runners and the ones who drift clear
to the back because they weren't prepared to do the ride at all.  The
mid-packers in general tend to be realists and tend to have fewer
problems.

Heidi