[RC] [RC] To Finish is to Win - DreamWeaver

"Usually the riders that are dragging or pushing or pulling their horses to finish at the back of the pack started out more up in the front, and end up in the back as a result of a 'bonk'. Since even that happens so rarely,"

You know it is a blanket statement like this that can really get to me.

Hi Kim -- well, I agree with what you say. I did say "even that happens so rarely". I also said 'usually' because that is what I usually see.

I don't want to get in a petty discussion over this but only want to make a point. Yes, there are riders/horses that bonk BUT are you telling me that you have never seen riders that consistantly ride in the middle to the back of the and are riding for mileage/point goals that are really not riding rides with the best interest of the horse in mind?? Do you mean to tell me that you have never seen riders "nurse" a lame horse through the end of ride season to stay in the standings?? Do you mean you have never seen horses with a season of high mileage that start looking a little brain dead?? Do you mean to tell me you have never seen a rider nurse a metabolically compromised horse through a ride to get that completion? If this is what you are saying let me know what rides you are going to because I want to be there....and don't tell me it is at the multi days because I have seen this happen at the multidays I have attended as well as single day rides. Is this the quality we are striving for when we say "to finish is to win"??

Well, yes I have seen all of those things. I still think that 'usually' I am more likely to see riders that were going faster and slowed down, because I start in the back and speed up, or keep the same pace all day while others slow down. That is just my experience. I rode 2100 some miles on a single horse last year, and have done close to 1400 on the same horse this year, so yes, I have seen a lot of what you mentioned. I did not say the riders "started in the front", I said that they started "more up in the front". (I think we're talking about the same riders basically)

My point is that our motto "To finish is to win" becomes tarnished when there is only criticism of those that make wrong choices for their horses when riding at speed or for placing. I am only trying to bring out the fact that this does not just occur with "hot shoe" riders but with riders across the spectrum. It would do the sport a world of good if those that promote the high mileage, long lasting horses acknowledge this fact. Just because a horse has high mileage or has lasted a long time doesn't mean that all those miles were done with the best interest of the horse in mind...any more then somebody with several wins always putting the horse first for those rides.

You are right on. I think that having a horse last a long time is great, however, I don't think it would earn the respect of anybody if a rider chose to 'drag' a horse not really 'fit to continue' thru a ride just so they could say they had a 'decade horse', or whatever. That is something that has concerned me. Somebody at a ride suggested we have some sort of recognition for horses that have gone a large # of miles without a pull -- and that is something I would strongly disagree with! It would discourage people from pulling their horse when they should.

I think many of the riders that ride up front love their horses as much as those in the middle to back of the pack. As you say, most endurance riders in AERC don't really think of the horse as a commodity and this is a hobby or fun. As I like to say....SERIOUS FUN. But I think we just need to acknowledge that there are riders across the spectrum of endurance, not just the ones "racing," that sometimes put their own goals ahead of what is best for their horse. For those riders it really doesn't matter if they are going for the win or if they are going for their 5,000 mile milestone....if it isn't what is best for the horse that human goal needs to get put on the back burner.

Absolutely, I think that everybody participating in this sport does care for their horses. Sometimes they let their goals, desires, ego, whatever you call it, take over their good sense and they make errors in judgement because of it. I hope that I know when to say when, and have. I have two older horses that have high mileage and a # of years in this sport, yet I am not so gung -ho on getting them to a certain milestone that I continue to ride them knowing that they are really better off not competing on a heavy schedule, or even at all. I like to ride a horse that is having fun, and is not only good condition at the ride but following a ride. The reason I have multiple horses is so that I can, and hopefully will, make the right choice for all of them.

Karen