Re: [RC] advice on first 100 attempt - Joe Long

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:33:14 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Please Reply to: L. Yost glyost@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

O.K here we go, after reading all the posts this week this will seem very
simple to most, but I value those more experienced and thier opinions....
planning to ride a 100 miler (Arabian nights 100) and want to just finish with
a healthy horse.(my horse has 560 miles around 100 ld miles)  I rode the Big
Horn 50 2 1/2 weeks ago went very well horse did great. Took one week off rode
the next Saturday 7 miles just to strech and see how everything was working.
Went great.  Went to saddle up on Mon. Slightly swollen back right just above
the fetlock joint,trotted out fine but wanted to be safe. (I have no idea when
or how, he plays around over the panels with our other horse a lot especially
around feeding time.) Anyway, watched it close did not ride took another week
off, swelling is gone,rode tuesday felt great no swelling. 100 mile ride is in
three weeks.  I do not want to "over condition" and I do not want to "under
condition" usually I give one week off before a 50. Should I give
more.. same... We live in the mountains, cond. rides consist of 7-20 miles of
ups and downs, not a lot of flat possible 1-2 miles in one area.  I have been
very consistent with our cond. schedule I really watch my horse I don't want
to over cond. but want to keep his level of fitness, any advise would be
appreciated.
L. Yost

You didn't say how many days/week you were riding those 7 - 20 miles, but
assuming it's not more than three days I'd say you're doing it about right.  As
the horse has just had some time off, returning to your regular workouts for the
next two weeks then giving him the week off prior to the ride sounds fine.
There is no need for more time off than that, I used to routinely use a 50-mile
ride one week before a 100 as a "tuneup" ride.  If you don't do that, I'd
consider trying to ride 30 miles or so (once) about a week before the 100.

Due to the way some other things  worked out, I had an unusual "training"
program this year leading up to the Big Horn 100.  I rode three 50-mile rides,
every two weeks, with the last two weeks before the BH.  Little work between
rides.  I rode each ride with increasing speed and effort, and Sanshra got
stronger and more fit with each ride.  The BH was his first 100, and we arrived
there only a little underconditioned ... and I'd much rather be underconditioned
than overconditioned!

Please keep in mind, that Sanshra was already an experienced 50-mile horse at
the start of that sequence.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx