Re: [RC] Horse Buyer Beware - Chris Paus

Thank you. As a buyer, I know it's frustrating to want a horse and see it go to someone else. OTOH, as a seller, I have learned the hard way that a buyer really doesn't want the horse unless he or she puts money down on it and enough money not to walk away from.

When I started raising foals, I had a nice colt for sale and a friend really really wanted him and asked me to "hold" him for her, no money down. Buyer no. 2 comes along and wants the horse immediately and offeres me my asking price and a hefty downpayment. I told her to let me call buyer no. 1 and make sure she still wants the horse. Buyer no. 1 said, oh yes, still want the horse. ...

Fast forward a couple of weeks, buyer no. 1 backs out, which was easy for her as she had no money involved. Buyer no. 2 has moved on and no longer wants the horse and probably was a bit miffed that I didn't just sell him to her on the spot. It took me another 9 months to find a ready buyer for that horse.. 9 months of groceries and vet bills.

Now it's a CIF policy ... cash in fist. Yes, I'll hold a horse for you, but only after you make a downpayment and sign a contract. I've also learned to set time limits on how long to keep a horse here before the buyer picks it up, or else I charge board.

Yes, sometimes the buyer gets disappointed. I've been both a buyer and a seller and I've been stiffed a lot more times as a seller.

chris

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: wendy lumbert wendy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is a great example of the usual personal slamming that goes on at Ridecamp. Before jumping on the bandwagon consider the facts here. You emailed someone that you were interested in
their horse for sale. You DID NOT make an offer to buy the horse. You stopped at a

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com