[RC] Horse Buyer Beware - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: wendy lumbert wendy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is a great example of the usual personal slamming that goes on at
Ridecamp. Before jumping on the bandwagon consider the facts here.  You emailed
someone that you were interested in
their horse for sale. You DID NOT make an offer to buy the horse. You stopped
at a ride on the way to see it, not in a blazing hurry were you?  Did you
expect them to hold the horse for you in case you decided to buy it? Then you
rode the horse, but did you offer to pay full price in cash (the way YOU would
like to sell a horse?) NO. Does the seller owe you anything at this point?  NO.
You still liked the horse but were still determined to get a bargain so made a
low offer again. Does the seller owe you anything? NO. The third day you
finally offer full price and are outraged to find that someone else has been
willing to pay full price and now you have lost out on the horse.  Whose fault
is that, exactly? Now you attempt to badmouth the seller by mentioning their
name and acting hurt.
PLEASE!! Want to know how to keep this from happening again?
When you find a horse you want to buy, get there fast, ride it,
and if you like it then buy it right then for crying out loud!
If you weren't prepared to pay full price did you mention THAT to the seller
before they so nicely took the horse to a ride for
you to try out???  BTW  I am NOT the seller but boy do I hate this type of
whining, especially when people join in and say oh
poor buyer.....

I've been looking for a horse so I used the classifieds on endurance.net. I
found one in Colorado and communicated by email several times with the owner.
We decided to go out to Colorado from Maryland to see the horse. We stopped to
ride the Summer Breeze on the way and were lucky to find a ride in Westcliffe,
Colorado the next weekend. We looked at the horse, rode him, liked him and made
an offer. Kerry said she'd think about it. A day went by and I made a higher
offer. Another day went by and I told her I would pay the asking price. At this
time she said someone else was looking at the horse and they had first
priority. She had neglected to mention this in any of the emails. We wouldn't
have taken a chance and made the trip if we had known this. Needless to say we
missed out on the horse. My purpose for this post is so others won't make the
mistake we did. How can we keep something like this from happening again?