Re: [RC] glucometer - MtnRondi

In a message dated 8/3/2005 8:19:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, jlong@xxxxxxxx writes:
None of the advanced training or monitoring techniques such as those Tom has
been talking about are necessary to complete endurance rides, although many can
be helpful.  Nor are special nutritional supplements necessary.  Good basic
nutrituion, a moderate conditioning program, and sensible riding are plenty,
even for 100-mile rides.

I would like to know if there are any studies that show how equine athletes have improved their performances since we have started all the fancy feeding, electrolyting, etc.

In looking at Tevis stats, I don't see any dramatic differences in winning times since we have supposedly learned how to feed and supplement "better". In fact, there has never been another Witezarif who won 6 Tevis Cups in the 1970's when we were apparently ignorant on how to feed and condition an endurance horse.

The same goes for TB race horses. The Kentucky Derby was won by a horse named Old Rosebud in 1914 in 2:03. Horses are still winning that race in about the same times (forget about Secretariat... he really set a record of 1:59) and I imagine they also are being trained and fed more scientifically than in 1914.

So, could somebody show me how having a nervous breakdown over worrying about how to feed, condition, get all the fancy monitors, etc. has made things better.

Bonnie