[RC] scientific research - Chris Paus

The scientific method is based on a desire to uncover the secrets of Mother Nature. It's based predictions,development of mathematically valid experiments and repeatability of the validation of the predictions through experimentation. If a prediction
can not be verified and done so repeatability the theory responsible for that theory is discarded.

Well, I did a little scientific experiment of my own on Monday evening when I needed a break from this scintillating conversation online. I took my usually unflappable mare out for ride. The scientific part was my hypothesis that people over the age of 50 do not bounce after unscheduled dismounts. Hence we must always keep the horse between us and the ground.

I deviated from my original course, which was to ride the section line roads (4 miles, 1 mile on each side of the square of a section of land... for you who like math, a section is 640 acres).

I saw that a neighbor had mowed an inviting path into his empty cow pasture, so unflappable mare and I went there. Neighbor A. who lives next door to the pasture was driving the loudest, most clattering tractor and mower I've ever heard. Neighbor A also has hunting dogs right along the fenceline near the gate where we entered. Dogs were barking, tractor and mower were clattering. Unflappable mare was getting tense. At a most inopportune time, a quail decided to fly up from the ground right under mare's nose.

That's when I got to test my hypothesis. Mare did a drop shouldered spook spin. I flew off her left side. I landed first on my hip, then back. I held on to the reins, when said mare decided to see how far she could haul me. When I let go of the reins I did indeed BOUNCE. My body bounced, my neck snapped backwards and I smacked my head on very dry, drought ridden Kansas clay... pretty much like hitting concrete.

After I assessed the damage and realized that I was going to live, I also realized that my hypothesis would never become a theory because it was just disproven. Now I know that to really debunk this hypothesis, one would have to repeat the experiment several times. I'm asking for volunteers. You can do the experiment on your own time under varying conditions. The only requirement is that you must be over 50 years of age!

Thanks. Let me know the results of your field studies. (oh, please wear a helmet... I did and thank goodness!)

chris and ali whose halo slipped quite a bit

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com