Re: [RC] The book - Truman Prevatt

Joe Long wrote:

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 05:54:36 -0700, "Nancy Sturm" <nsturm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks.

As a former distance runner, then competitive cyclist, I have been
wondering if I am making a mistake in applying training techniques that
work with human athletes to the physical conditioning of a horse. Am I
understanding correctly that the same training strategies are appropriate
for the two different species?

Some are, some are not. There are significant physiological and mechanical differences between humans and horses. I've done a little distance running myself, and still climb "fourteeners," and I found that my response to altitude and my horse's response to altitude were quite different (for one example).

When trying any new technique, make your changes one at a time and closely
monitor your results -- be prepared to back off and go another direction if a
new method isn't working as expected.

Another difference is horses can't lift weights. This is a significant advantage humans have over horses when pursuing athletic activities. Even runners can (and do benefit) from a well defined weight training program. Even if you can get the same effect on horses with appropriate cross training - it would take a lot of time.

Altitude acclamation in humans has a lot to do with lung capacity. It takes two sheets of film for me to get a chest Xray - one for the top of the lungs and one for the bottom. The sheets are designed for one sheet per Xray. Probably why I was a good runner in college. However, since I've got to have a chest Xray every four years for my Australian visa - there can be some negatives. However, I never had much of a problem acclimating to altitude. I could drive (and have) out from Annapolis Md at sea level, arrive in Denver two days later (two very long days) and go climb a 14'er the next day without any trouble.

Horse's in general have a large lung capacity and extra red blood cells stored in the spleen so they should not have much trouble with altitude acclimation.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics