[RC] Comments on science - Sisu West Ranch

"....To avoid hypoglycemia, it is important to temper the carbs with protein which evens out the blood sugar, thus avoiding the highs and lows that come with carb loads?..."

There is another way to avoid hypoclycemia. You constantly supply some type of carbohydrate so the blood sugar stays the same. 40 years ago my mother's internist tried to teach her how to manage her severe diabeties by sucking on moderate amounts of hard candy while gardening. This was to be in addition to her usual diabetic diet. She never had much success with this. She most usually either over or under estimated the amount of sugar to use.

I suspect that the same thing can happen with horses in an endurance ride. This may explain the fact that while some extole carbohydrate supplimentation in endurance horses, others report no effect or a bad effect. Personally, I prefer to just get their gut full of good hay and (shudder!) beet pulp and let nature take its course. My limiting factor has seemed to be the horses legs, not his energy supply anyway. The TB race horse is a much easier subject to use. You know within 5 minutes when the exercise will happen, and you know exactly how much exercise over exactly what period of time it will be.

"....have learned that today's great study is next years "sadly, flawed presentation - one we're not following any more" ..."

It is my feeling that many doctors are not really good scientists. They often extrapolate what should be just a preliminary study into clinical treatment. The science was not wrong, just the interpretation. I have run across interesting results in a study and then found that some critical details were missing, severely limiting the studies usefulness to me. Sometimes I can blame the reviewers, other times it is just a case that details relavent to my intended use were not relavent to the original goal of the original study.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875