Re: [RC] Hoof Angles & Xrays - KimFue

I will write something up in more detail about the two horses in which X-rays helped determine correct shoeing.  One horse, Fox was in NB shoes and it was determined by my vet that these were not working for her.  I will have to go back to my vet's notes to determine exactly what was corrected and how.  I will try to post something in the next couple days.  My memory isn't what it used to be as this was over 2 years ago and I recall in more detail how to fix the problem not what the problem exactly was.

The other horse, Rose, was actually in regular shoes.  Because of her pastern conformation we were having a difficult time setting the shoe back enough to give adequate support.  My vet actually thought that because of this conformation that she would be unsuitable for endurance.  X-rays actually helped determine that she actually would be suitable for endurance and that the column of bones was actually lining up correctly.  He recommended that we put her in a Natural Balance shoe or make a custom shoe very similar to NSB.  This diagnosis was in the spring and so far it has seemed to work for her but as always time will tell.  I will try to find the notes and x-rays on Rose also and write up more details for those that are interested.

All I can say is that X rays have certainly helpful in determining if the bones in the foot line up correctly as sometimes what the eye can see on the outside is deceiving.

Kim Fuess