[RC] Hoof Angles & Xrays - KimFue

Angie,
   Just to continue on your hoof angle discussion.  A couple years ago, my mare had a subtle lameness problem that had been misdiagnosed as an upper suspensory tear.  I felt that the suspensory diagnosis might be incorrect and went for a second opinion.  It turned out that the suspensory was fine and that there was a slight shoeing/trim problem that was found through Xrays.  Although the shoeing looked great,  Xrays showed differently and a slight change in shoeing has kept the mare sound for the last two years.

I now try to Xray all the competition horses to make sure that shoeing/trim angles are correct.  It also gives me a base set of xrays in case down the road a problem arises and we want a comparison set to see if or what changes are occurring.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648