Re: [RC] Deaths - Maryanne Gabbani

Not to be picky, Tom, but as someone who is always after people to go look for the needed information from journals and so on, it would seem to be the case that you are not following your own advice. (shaking a finger and saying 'tsk, tsk, tsk') AERC as a body is incredibly easy to get information from and much of it is available through the website. I'm sure that you are capable of getting the numbers.

And please don't tell me or anyone else that you were unaware of the wondrous number of horse deaths in 2000-2002 when you were working with Tahnoon and Dubai was pouring all that money into "introducing" their version of endurance flat racing to all the countries in the Middle East and north Africa because you were still on Ridecamp at that time and I was screaming blue murder about it. There is a fatal flaw in the paradigm for the UAE and some of the group there buy into it more than others. Winning at those speeds and distances kills horses that aren't prepared and damages those that are after a while. They didn't care that idiots in Egypt (like Syria, like Morocco, like Jordan, .....ad nauseaum) were riding horses to death to win big bucks as long as the picture was there for their silly politics. And even now, the most important wins for the various families in the UAE have nothing to do with being the "best in the world" but much more to do with beating cousin Ahmed. Witness the last alleged WEC, where family politics were the name of the game and either doping or contaminating samples was the way to win. Sheesh.

Tom, I own quite a few of your books and really value your knowledge, but let's play this as an honest game. You collect information via the internet that you aren't mobile enough to collect bodily. You'll get much more of it, and more cooperation, by being just a touch less arrogant and if you play yourself by the rules that you set for others.

And are they still killing horses in Egypt? Not as much because I understand that they aren't getting the funding from the UAE anymore. Now there is a movement to (horrors!) not race so much and try to keep the bloody horses alive.

Maryanne
Cairo