[RC] Tom's comments - oddfarm

You are a piece of work, Mr. Ivers! You may have a sense of humor, in a sick twisted sorta way.

I never, ever said that the processed feeds for endurance were the way to go. I meant that
was just one more area for people to research nutrition. Are you the ONLY valid source of information? Tom, I am not sure why you despise people so much and assume we are all so stupid. Thank God for music, ay? That's better than no therapy at all!

So you come from a race track background. Let's be honest here and admit that it is quite different from endurance. That doesn't mean that one venue can't learn from the other.

All the info you gave on JT's request on measuring VO2 and VLA4 was very interesting. How come you didn't offer me any information or examples from your log books? Don't tell me it's because you think I am too stupid to look it up or understand it, because you wouldn't look up the AERC stats, either.

Or maybe you just want me to buy your books.

By the way, Monte Roberts wrote a few books, too. So what was your point when you asked one poster how many books she had written?? Writing something down doesn't always make it so, now does it? Just because people read it, doesn't make it any more valid, either.

I'll bet you have never read the Cowboy code of conduct. It's not scientific, just about manners and kindness.

Let's come back to the real world. Taking blood drops, monitoring glucose, buying and having on hand equipment like a centrifuge and measuring spleen contractions, (I'll have to research that one to see how it is applied to endurance) just isn't that realistic. It might be on the racetrack and at the racing barns and farms. I'm not saying it can't be done or it shouldn't be done because it certainly makes sense to follow such protocol for an athlete, equine or human. It could certainly give one the winning edge. Maybe.

I have 4 horses that I would like to compete on. If I had the vet out once a week to monitor blood work that would cost about $300. $1200 a month for the 8 or 9 months that we ride. Come on, Tom. Is that the only way I can ever be competitive? Will spending tons of money and watching a crap load of numbers keep my horses healthy and winning? That's the only possible way?? Your way???

Or maybe I should just buy your products. Ahhh-ha! That might be the ticket.

I am NOT a know it all, but I am not stupid either. If glucose and HR's are the key numbers, I can do that. I can track weight from workout to workout. All of that makes sense.

Is knowing those numbers going to make us winners? Your guess is as good as mine. It is still a gamble on race day on how well you and you horse will perform. Being in the racetrack business, you should know that. I agree, starting off with a well fed, well trained and conditioned horse and a jockey that can ride will give you better odds. It doesn't guarantee anything, though.

Maybe that is where our US team went wrong. They didn't buy all your stuff. I'll bet if we ALL bought your stuff, you wouldn't get so annoyed with us. Because we would all be smarter, what did you think I meant??

Has your keyboard come in yet? Can you track that and see how much longer? ;)

Lisa Salas, The Odd fArm