[RC] Beet Pulp - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wait!  I thought Bill and Smokey were totally debunked...what did I miss?  I
remember the bet, I remember someone going out to see the famous "Smokey" and
I remember that it was all proven to be smoke (pardon the pun) and
mirrors....no?>

No. That was the alpha cow version. Bill would not ask his friends to "testify"
for him. However, his work was published in great detail on Horsescience, as it
happened, and many have benefitted from it. I kept my word and paid the $1000
by default. Pissed me off to have to do that, but that's Bill.

Tom in the studies that you cite weren't these horses fed exclusively beet
pulp and nothing else?>

Ha! That'll be the day.

Or what was the ration that they were given?  I would think studies that go to
an extreme end would most likely provide extreme results.  Kind of like making
lab rats inhale cigarette smoke 24/7 don't you think?>

I'm open to new information, so I'm curious as to what the horses in your
study paper were fed.  I tried to figure it out but the words were too big <g>.

From the foal study: "Our objective was to compare bone development in foals
that were fed pasture and concentrates rich in sugar and starch (corn,
molasses) or fat and fiber (corn oil, beet pulp, soybean hulls, oat straw).
Forty foals were examined, 20 each in 1994 and 1995. In each year, 10 mares
and their foals were fed a corn and molasses supplement (SS) and 10 others
were fed a corn oil and fiber supplement (FF)."

I agree completely on the e-lyte subject.  I've rarely syringed lytes, do feed
them in mashes during rides though.  But then, I'm not a winner, I'm *just* a
finisher.>

Then you may have an unrealized goal lurking in the background. Or you may have
the political pull to get on the international traveling team. Maybe see you
'finishing" in Dubai some time in the near future.

Sylvia>

ti