[RC] Reply to Bruce Weary - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce,

Your thoughts are well taken. let me expand upon them.

First, One of my own favorite cliches:  "the road to hell is paved with good
intentions". It's not enough to want to do the right thing, particularly when
trying to alter the physiological composition of a complex biological system
that, supposedly, someone loves.

Another phase comes into play here: "First, do no harm." That should be part of
the oath of anyone dealing with athletic horses. It's just not enough to bumble
along, trying to do your best to figure out the complexities--any more than
you'd take that approach with your son or daughter. This is serious business
and ignorance of the laws of physiology is no excuse, despite how difficult
those many laws are to learn and to turn into practical application.

In horseracing, the concept is easier to embrace because you're putting human
lives at risk, as well as those of the horses. But veterinary, trainer, owner,
and official irresponsibility runs rampant in the racing industries.

Now, I'm no PETA advocate--far from it--another pack of ignorant "true
believers" in my opinion--but I do think there is a special responsibility
incurred when you take an animal out of its natural environment (that is, put a
halter on)and then attempt to reshape its physiology to suit your personal
needs.

Of course, there are 1001 reasons why not, including I'm too dumb, I'm too
busy, I can't afford the equipment (as you lean on that $80K rig), etc. But
then, maybe you should just find another, easier, hobby with no accountability
whatsoever. Bubble gum blowing contests or something.

As a consultant, I have to enforce intellectual and applied discipline in my
clients and it's extremely difficult to do. I have cut most of my endurance
activities because there is little incentive for these people to go through all
the hassle to do things right--better to pretend you're winning by dragging a
horse across the finish line on your back. But there are still a few with the
right attitude and the courage to see things through.

Meanwhile, this "complex biological system" has so many interdependent facets
to it that it is extremely difficult to control all the important factors and
move forward without making serious blunders. Again, far easier to ride with
the pack and drink a few beers along the way. But I began this current foray
into the Ridecamp wilderness by recommending Chris Carmicahel's book on
training the likes of Lance Armstrong as a way to get the Big Picture firmly in
mind.

The last sentence in your post suggested, to me, that I was someone who thought
he had all the answers. In truth, I'm picking off the answers, one by one, and
have been doing so for more than 33 years and could go on for another hundred
years without getting past the tip of the iceberg. A couple years ago I was
reading 8000 abstracts a month, but have cut that to about 4000, and cut way
back on direct contact with hundreds of people in various stages of
knowledge-gathering--due to health reasons.

But my rule is "know your stuff and fear no man", so if you can find errors in
anything I write here, I welcome the new information. If, on the other hand,
you simply want to strike out and jump on the slamming bandwagon, then just
know that I always respond to posts directed at me in kind. Be nice and I'll be
nice. Attack and you'd better be well-armed and ready for a genuine fight.

ti