[RC] Beet pulp - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I really had to laugh when I read Mr. Ivers' slam of beet pulp.  You're
right, Ed, there's nothing wrong with the science--but as with all
science, one needs to put it into the context of common practice.
Endurance horses as a group get so MUCH feed, such good quality feed,
and sufficient supplementation that even though what the research says
is true, it has little bearing in real-life feedind practices.

I do think the problem is of sufficient import to make beet pulp not a
good feed for foals, as their requirements are so much higher and they
don't tend to have the above-average-per-body-weight intake that adult
endurance horses have.  While I know some people have intake issues
with their endurance horses, I've yet to ride an endurance horse that
doesn't consume at least 50% more feed by weight than the averages used
for calculating rations--and I've had some that willingly consume twice
the average.  They don't need any more minerals for maintenance than
they would if they only ate the average, so the fact that the beet pulp
ties up a little bit is really moot.

Heidi

I didn't slam beet pulp with the citing of those papers--I responded to a post
that belittled a vet for suggesting that beet pulp compromised mineral
absorption--when it obviously does.

As far as feed intake is concerned, endurance horses still are not eating much,
compared to race horses. But when it comes to a race, where people are pumping
in those electrolytes, and beet pulp, as the primary tactical nutrients,
perhaps it would be wise for someone, somewhere, to take a closer look at the
situation before expressing an opinion like that above--which essentially
advises ignoring the science and going on with what everybody else is doing.
You can laugh all you want, but that kind of "stop thinking and get with the
program" advice is damaging.

Indeed, despite your opinion, above, you offer no refereed information to
support your chuckles. As a licensed veterinarian (at least at one time) you
are the profession responsible for bringing science to the horse world. Why
don't you do that instead of dismissing it out of hand? Then an intelligent
discussion could follow. As it is, you'll get no laughs from me--just the same
reaction I'll deliver to anyone spouting unsupported opinion with an
authoritative voice.

If you'd taken 10 minutes, you could have found a paper that supports your
contention--albeit authored by a "scientist" in the feed business. Why not go
dig up Pagan's paper on the subject and we can discuss that? Instead, ridicule
is your tactic, as it has always been. Unfortunate, because others could
benefit from a genuine discussion of the science.

The veterinarian who advised to be careful with beet pulp because of its
chelating properties was correct, and was true to his professional
responsibility. For Susan to ridicule him (or her) was a mistake. I pointed
that out, with a few appropriate cites. That's how science is discussed.

Your post is a perfect example of how not to discuss science or its application
in this sport. Earlier you posted another brief, and somewhat nasty,
opinion--that I was right about somethng--neither carries any weight with me
because you don't appear to be able to read the stuff yourself--and it's YOU
with the credential, and the responsibility, not me.

ti

ti