RE: [RC] Beet Pulp - Chris Paus

I don't think the sky is  falling if you feed beet pulp to foals. My babies always get a little beet pulp with their mommas. It's mixed with oats or a little sweet feed. Gosh, anyone is welcome to look at my babies.. they have the strongest, sturdiest legs you'd ever want on a foal. I think people (several in Texas) who have bought Bay-Rabs can attest that these guys have great legs and bone...

There's a lot that goes into developing bone, including lots of exercise, which these guys get. I used to be really neurotic about feeds and supplements for all my horses, but I've learned that simpler is better and my horses are all better for it. they have great pastures, good brome grass hay, and get small amounts of other feeds, including beet pulp.

It's not rocket science, it's common sense and knowing the basics of what horses need to thrive.

chris
So, does that mean no beat pulp for growing foals? Lisa>>

It means that beet pulp does interfere with mineral absorption in the
horse--to the extent that its feeding in foals results in measureably weak
bone. But logic ( a scarce commodity here, evidently)suggests that, although
beet pulp appears to be the salvation for feed manufacturers, since it is a
cheap industrial waste product, it may not be the miracle food that some
evangelists promote it to be.

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com