Re: [RC] Seeking Your Experience in Round Pen Purchase/Anchoring - Carol Suggs

Heres my 2 cents worth.

We use  a combination of  Power Mountain (made by Poweder River) and Priefert light weight panels.

Our round corral is made up of 17 12' panels.  Nice because they are light enough for me to move around.  We don't have them anchored.

We also use these for our paddock runs out of each stall.

In the large arena where we work and sort cattle we use heavy weight Powder River panels.

The lighter weight panels should not be used with cattle or any conditions wherein crowding may occur because they will bend.

When buying panels seek out ones that have good welds (not just spot welded) and nice wide feet at the bottom.  Also be mindful that the panels should butt up neatly against one another and not leave a substantial gap wherein a rearing horse's hoof could get hung up in between.

Also make sure that the tops are snubbed off or rounded off so that horse can not get impaled, or hook his halter on them if you are inclined to leave your horse with halter or fly mask alone in arena.

A friend of ours used similar panels and then anchored them  using 5 foot poles about 1/2 the diameter of a power pole.  The poles were placed in various spots around the parameter of the round arena with the panels butting up to the inside surface of the pole and he drilled in brackets to secure the panels to the poles, thus making a more permnant arena.  It still could be taken apart if need be, but not as easily as the panels just being chained to each other.

There are cheap panels out there...but you get what you pay for.  Spend a little more for ones that are safe and that will last and you will have them for a long time.  We have a few off brand panels that have
not worked out for us, welds were bad and they bent up real easy and didn't fit together well.  Powder coated panels will cost more than painted panels...and will be more attractive in the long run.

Carol-Mariposa