[RC] Endurance Equine Nutrition - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Ti,

Regarding your 99% of the US endurance participants not having the foggiest
idea - I think you're dead wrong about this.  I've spent significant time,
asking, researching, sharing and exploring nutrition for my horse AND receiving
tremendous input/information from others specifically in the endurance
community.  I think you might be surprised just how many others there are out
there that devote extensive time to balanced nutrition for their equine
partners.  Are we perfect?  No.  But the last guy that was perfect was hung on
a cross (at least from my understanding).

All the best,
Sandy

99% of=
the participants in US endurance haven't the foggiest idea of=
how exercise science interfaces with supportive=
nutrition-

Sandy,

You quoted part of what I said--but look at the rest of it. "How exercise
science interfaces with supportive nutrition". Equine nutrition doesn't just
exist in a void all by itself in the case of endurance athletes. The underlying
exercise science, and application in the individual horse, is what determines
the necessary nutritional support. For every athletic discipline there is a
different nutritional protocol and for every individual athlete, the nutrition
must fit as closely as possible the stressors that athlete is currently
experiencing.

So, looking at the broad subject of equine nutrition is not enough. That's why,
in an earlier post, I said "Specificity is King".

My specialty is applied equine exercise physiology--basically, what work is
necessary to deliver a given performance on race day. But I'm forced to know
how to deal with all the other peripheral issues as well--biomechnics,
nutrition, biochemistry and energetics, health issues, injury avoidance and
rehab, to name just a few. Diagnostics, hematology, shoeing, gaiting. All are
interrelated. But the underlying core science when building and competing
athletes is not nutrition, but exercise science.

THAT's where the ignorance lies. There is no way to determine what to feed
until you know and can predict, accurately, the metabolic stressors your
individual athlete faces in a race. And that's when you can fill in the
"holes", through nutrition, through exercise, through a change in shoeing or
equipment.

To do that, you have to be monitoring as many aspects of the animal's real-time
physiology as possible, keeping a daily log of all that information so that you
can refer to it as you make constant changes in exercise and diet and other
parameters. You have to know where you are and where you're going, in terms of
these parameters.

For example, what is the maximum heartrate your horse can safely sustain for,
say, 30 miles? And, how much weight will he lose doing so? And, how long will
it take for that weight to rebound? And, what does that lost weight consist
of--tissue destruction, fuel depletion or simple deydration? And what is his
starting and ending blood glucose, given a regiment of several approaches to
during-ride nutritional support? What is the beginning and end body temp and
hydration status? What is your horse's percentage of lean mass. How does a
change in equipment or other environmental factors impact on working HR? How
many hours at what HRs has your horse delivered over the past year? What is
your horse's Efficiency Score, now, and when you started? Are you going
anywhere or just spinning your wheels? If the latter, what are the factors that
are stopping you?

If you are constantly thinking about such things, then I welcome you to the 1%.
Otherwise, you know where you are and where you need to go, don't you?

ti