[RC] 25's - too short - smuncy

     As far as comments, about '25's being too short',   in some ways  I agree -(Not that my opinion  means anything), for reasons given;  some horses don't learn to take care of self./ or riders to take care of the horse........ and "pacing"; ..... I don't think gets 'ingrained' in the rider. As far as a learning tool, before stepping - up to higher distances, OK. - as far as, vet check routines, cooling out procedures......... but think idea of 'mentoring' best. Or , 'watching'  events as a volunteer,/ or doing CTR - to learn pacing, and horse care - ( no crew allowed, at least  in ECTRA, you learn real quick how to take care  of horse and self. and mileage markers help you to learn pacing.  From learning such pacing - I will tell, when an endurance ride isn't measured right, after years of doing such; if it takes me roughly an hour to go x miles at a given gait.) Some aspire to do nothing more than 25, and that is fine;  **TO EACH HIS OWN.**
          However, in response to question about ? >>
         "I really like the 50-mile rides, but if a ride is particularly rough or if its a 'new' ride for me, I will drop back down to a shorter distance.  My question is ..... is it better to start a 50 that you likely won't be able to finish or drop back and do a 25 you are pretty sure to complete." .........
      If you have successfully done most 25's - I would hazard a quess ? and say,  you  can do the 50. Why do you think - You can't do it? ( even if "tough / new  trail",  if you know in advance ( and you do ) - listen to others ( you know other riders to talk to, ask questions), and at the ride meeting "listen",  when riding - pay attention to trail - and 'time windows' and be aware  -  where  you can move and where you can not, and have to take it easy. You know your horses' capabilities by now; -what he can trot through, what you need to 'pick'  through, or where to slow down,  ?  is he better uphill, or downhill. Does he handle rocks, deep footing.?    Your own insecurity is holding you back..........Go in with "the mindset" -  I / we can do this.!!! (bet you can)........... NOT - ' I doubt I can '.( Self defeating attitude).  Note,  you are not riding to "race / top ten",  but to 'complete', til  you get more comfortable. As long as your horse and you are "conditioned", I say - 'go for it', you can do it  !!; if  you ride within your capabilities. There is No shame in trying and giving something a honest effort, that  you have prepared for,  if you don't succeed, consider it a learning experience.( If you always stay where you know you can succeed, you can't improve.) If I was riding as much as as I did,  I would offer to 'mentor' you, if  wanted, .. however, I never really was going slow.  ; )  Good luck, ( go for it).      StephanieM.