From: Sherman
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 6:35 PM
Subject: [RC] Mentoring

Sarah wrote:

Everyone's comments on the last couple of days regarding 25's being too
short to really teach a horse how to take care of himself are very
interesting, but I feel like as a newbie, I would be in a catch-22 - I need
the LD for my conditioning, but then my horse will have a little harder time
adjusting when we move to the 50's and 100's.  Maybe as a newcomer, I should
just stick to the shorter rides, as they're a good bit safer (i.e. the idea
of 25 is less scary than 50 to me).

If you do 20 mile training rides (4 hrs at 5 MPH) a few times a month, you would not need the LDs for conditioning.  I did 18-25 mile training rides regularly before my first 50....still was pretty darn sore when I got off my horse and could hardly walk the next couple of days. Other than that, it was great!

Kathy