[RC] LDs "bad" for horses - Karen Casemier

I want to thank everyone for their comments and insights on this discussion. Some of these posts, particularly Heidi's and Benedikte's, could have been written about my mare. I really feel that she is learning that these things are just a breeze and she really doesn't have to work very hard nor take care of herself. Note that on our first 25 this year, we came in AFTER the CTR riders, as I was attempting to keep the pace reasonable (however, I did spend the first 10 miles or so going sideways or backwards down the trail in an attempt to do that ;>).

I'm not an experienced endurance rider, but I do feel I know my horse very well. And I totally understand that these decisions are based on the individual horse. Some of the other posts could have been written about my husband's horse. Comet, a QH, will never expend any extra energy than necessary. The 25s are absolutely perfect for him. He's about as laid back as you can get on the trail without being dead. At our first 25 together, we gave each horse a new nickname. Mazzie, my Morgan mare, because "the gas", and Comet, the QH, became "the brakes". Comet got to spend the first part of the ride in front, "blocking" my mare like an offensive linesman. He'll probably move over to CTR, where I think he'll do really well.

I'm doing the LD at Maggie's ride next weekend (go 100 milers, I'll be cheering you on!), and based on how she acts at that ride, I'm going to do one of two things. I'm either moving up to a 50, or I'm going to do back-to-back 25s (or possibly three days of 25s, as the next ride is over Labor Day weekend and offers three days of riding). I think either approach will be good for her, but I'm going to let her tell me next weekend which approach will be best for her.