[RC] my tevis story - Mary Maynard

Well I am back in Florida after spending three dream weeks in Calif riding in the Sierra's with all my friends on all my old favorite trails. I had posted to my friends in Auburn and Grass Valley that I was looking for a mount for tevis in 2005.  Low and behold my dear friend Lenita Prentsis gave me her horse Patriot B to ride. He is 12 years old and has 1700 miles including one tevis in 2002 and only one pull ( due to a slip on asphault) in 7 years of competing. She and I have ridden many trails together and even though I had never ridden him, I knew him well. So I felt good about my chances of completing Tevis.

 Then four weeks before Tevis she called to tell me he was off after completing the mariposa 50 miler. I started looking for another horse right away. But nothing came up - then Lenita called to tell me Patriot was sound and she wanted me to ride him. I spent two weeks prior to the ride testing him out for soundness issues. He was good to go. At the last minute I was offered a horse if Patriot did not make the vet check. Patriot was sound and got all A's at the vet in.

 We had a good start: he was very leval headed and easy to rate. All I can say it it was one of the most beautiful days, the temp was perfect and the skys clear and the trail unforgetable. I said to myself that even if I did not finish it was great to be back on this trail. The climb up sqaw peak and then down the back side as you enter the wilderness and on to red star ridge were pefect.  I was feeling very good about Patriot;  he felt very strong, and he always eats and drinks well. Lenita wanted me to go over couger rock, I had heard that it had gotten bad but I knew he could do it; he is a uphill horse. At the bottom I looked up and all the spotters were looking back down at me. I felt a bit nervous as I had not been over it since 2003. I headed up the rock and in about 3 seconds Patriot had shot to the top with great dexterity. Now if I can get to Robinson,  Lenita and Vicky Testa would be there to cool him down and send us on our way. But just before we hit the vet check before Robinson I noticed  his gait was not right. He pulsed down quickly but was off at the trot out. We were out of ride just that quick.

 I have been pulled at the quarry once and now redstar and I have one completion on my own horse MP Zafina in 2003. This trail is tough and the pull rate shows us that every year, but I really had a great time and want to thank Lenita and all my friends who jumped in to crew for me and put me up in their houses the weeks before the ride. Patriot B is resting and and will be back on the trails soon.
I am back in the heat and humidity - I missed a hurricane but my son and husband evacuted with my horses as it took the same route as Ivan. We escaped with no serious damage this time.
I Look foreward to another try at tevis in the next few years...it is a ride you must try.

Mary Anne Maynard
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=