Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:55 AM
Subject: Tevis and MIS conceptions/perceptions

I can just send it for you OR you can forward this message to ridecamp:

================================

Okay, I've read enough and I have I feel compelled to write something.

I'm writing this with the attitude to help, learn and seek more
information and to also try to get it across to people not to "judge"
other riders/horses without completely knowing facts.  Without facts all
this talk, especially related to Tevis is just plain gossip in my
opinion.

Until now I have never ever had a bad experience in a ride.  If you look
at my record I have not done a lot of 50 with my horse but not because I
couldn't. It was due to lack of finances, my husbands auto accident
which was a two year period, etc etc.  but what I didn't stop doing was
training, working, conditioning my horse, and volunteering at rides to
learn learn learn and I've done my homework. So frankly, JMHO, an
outsider not knowing a particular individual or their horse can never
know all the facts unless they know them personally.

For this reason I will tell my story.  And Truman, I'm sure you are a
nice person, but your comments about "horses on IV's at Tevis sickening
you" really hit home for me.

Tevis this year had extraordinary circumstances.  Some of the best
riders in the world got pulled in that ride.  And since I was there
personally, I saw how these individuals took excellent care of their
horses and DID NOT override them at all. I saw with my own two eyes.

I also had a horse on an IV.  And it was not due to the ride at all.
She had a slight impaction which I'll explain why later.  This was 3
hours after I chose to pull her myself at Deadwood.  She had A's all day
with the exception of one lower grade due to the fact that we had just
sponged her off.   She had marks of A's all day, and a B+ overall at
Robinson.  At Deadwood where I decided to pull my horse Cira has scores
of A/A-s with not even a B. She ended her ride there with an A- overall,
Kudos from the vet and telling me I took good care of her and she looked
great..

So, how did she end up on an IV at 8pm?  We had just gotten back from
the trailer ride from Deadwood. Waited a very pleasant hour for the
ride, Cira and my new friends horse from Montana just ate and drank and
relaxed.  Both looking good.  Hers got pulled for being ever so slightly
off.  We had nursed him  to Deadwood very carefully and were extremely
careful in our pacing.  Even walking quite a bit. We did not push to
make the cutoffs.

Anyway, back to my horse...Completely uneventful. My horse was bright
eyed, and eager to go if I had wanted.

so what happened?  Got to Foresthill around 7:30..Cira and I walked
around for 15 minutes looking for our trailer and crew.  She was
trotting around on her lead feeling pretty good.  Took her back to the
trailer. She ate, peed normally, yellow just a little thicker, but
yellow.  Happy and pulse around 40.  Then, around 8pm my daughter took
her as we were walking tryin to find other crew members who didn't know
I had pulled. 20

Side note:  The vet Rob Lydon, told me that this was a "true Rider
Option" as my horse looked great and he wrote that down on my vet card
right in front of me with a smile.

To continue, I turned to look in another direction and suddenly my
daughter said mom! Cira!  Just completely out of the blue, her legs
buckled and she wanted to go down.  As I turned to look at her, totally
stunned, a vet came over right away.  Ironically, I was only 20 feet
from the vet area.

I took her over immediately and told them what she had done.  Her pulse
was only 40 which was normal, but her body had tightened and I saw what
looked like a gas bubble on her right flank.  Her gums were pale but not
white. 20

When I decided to administer fluids I noted that her attitude was again
and also that she no longer wanted to buckle or go down.  Her eyes were
alert again.  And. knowing my horse, if she is not truly ill she will
not let you get a needle near her.  If she really needs help you can do
anything to her.  She wanted no part of this.

I chose to put fluids into her anyway just to err on the side of
caution.  After about 15 minutes and not even half a bag of fluids she
was better. Her gums were pink and her appetite was horrendous. So the
vets brought over some wet alfalfa.  In the meantime I was racking my
brain trying to figure out what was going on.  She had taken good care
of herself, I took good care of her, did NOT override her and she never
ever showed any sign of distress of any kind metabolically or physically
during the ride.  Then, she passed manure.  When I saw her start to do
this I went behind her and there was a what I call a "loaf/or log" of
poop she was trying to elimnate.  That was my answer.  She had a slight
impaction.  The fact that it  hit her suddenly was because due to the
exercise it had  most likely moved along in her gut to a point that it
suddently couldn't pass without some help.  And that's what the fluids
did.  Once that passed she was absolutely normal. I had worked with the
vets there and the official vets that were there as well. We let her
finish the bag of fluids which to her was was quite alright.  She was
comfortable and looked good.  Then she passed some gas.  That had been
why.

The vets agreed with me that she was okay and agreed to release her to
me.  I asked that I could give her a mash with a little mineral oil to
help in case there was more to pass.  They agreed.20

When I got home she was eating  happily and totally relaxed.  I made her
mash and she ate it all up. I put her in a stall just in case, with her
buddy Lilli next to her for the night.  I had planned to get up several
times and check her but found myself not waking until 6am after only
having 2 hours sleep.  I got up immediately at 6 and went out and there
she was!  Peeking out her window, nickering to me, bright eyed and fine.

I checked her poop and she did indeed pass two more "smaller logs" and
then the rest was okay. I then took her out for a walk on our trails to
access her attitude.  She pulled me up our trails, nibbled on green
grass, said hello to her favorite horsey neighbors, etc.  We came back,
she ate 1/2 a watermellon, about a pound of carrots and took a huge
drink and has been normal since.  I noticed that physically she looked
totally hydrated and does not look like a horse that did 56 miles of the
most difficult part of Tevis. She looked great.

My point in all this is please do not judge others on IV's.  One of the
guys next to me was a previous Tevis Winner.  I found him to be a very
good horseman, who loves his horse very very much.  He would not have
chose this.  He was very compassionate about his horse.  You could see
it on his face.

This is Tevis.  People, good people have bad days.  Sometimes days just
don't go the way you want them to. 20

And our beloved horses are so strong, yet so fragile.  And they can fool
us even when we are watching them closely like I was mine. In fact, I
drive my friends nuts cause they say I worry too much about my horses.

The hard part of all this for me is people.  My horse is a beautiful
pinto arab.  Very visable and very noticable.  I saw people starring and
frankly I felt it was unkind.  Here I was, I had worked hard
conditioning my horse, loving her, riding her as smartly as I could and
an impaction occurs and I'm trying to help her.  People sneer at this?
Come on...She had eaten and drank very very well thru this ride.  She
was happy to be there even seeming to enjoy being on top of that
mountain. 20

In hindsight for my particular issue was what happened several days
prior to the ride.  I had been properly resting my horse for a couple
weeks. I had taken her out just a few times, but normally I would have
taken her out for a little light exercise several days in a row just to
keep things moving.  But due to my personal circumstances I could not do
that.  She was in pasture 24/7, however, with the temperatures in the
100's all my horses including her were just standing under a tree all
day.  I had been feeding her lots of free choice hay especially from
Wednesday on with some beet pulp, carrots and a little bran.  I wanted
her in good weight.  But, with this type of feeding I feel that light
riding is very important to move things along.  I feel this contributed
to her impaction.  It was brewing and I didn't realize.

So please folks, be understanding, and give the benefit of the doubt.
And learn that you can actually discourage someone from helping their
horse, be it IV's or otherwise by staring and gossiping.  It is not
fair.

Hope this helps others.

By the way.  Cira did not receive even one cut, scratch, stone bruise
etc. and was very happy on the trail. She loves her job and I've been
riding her for years. She is a strong mare and she will be back and will
do well.  She has the drive, desire, the smarts, and the breeding.  I
love her and appreciate her very much.  I would give my life for her.

take care all, and to all those who rode Tevis I know you all understand
that ride.  Now that I've experienced I do too.

kathie