[RC] Tevis/IV's? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jeanne pepper pepperja@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Now that I have joined the ranks of people who
had a horse hooked to a bag at Tevis,I just
want to comment about what was really going
on at the "hospital" that day.First, I saw only 2
horses that were seriously sick.One colicked that
was tubed twice at Robinson's and again back at the
fairgrounds and remained on fluids for hours
with his rider by his side.The horse looked less
stressed than the rider & kept trying to steal hay
from the bale outside his paddock.The last I saw him
Monday morning he was munchung alfalfa looking
pretty perky.Most horses on IV's recovered quite quickly.
My guy had one set of bags  & I'm glad he did.Though he
was not dehydrated and had good vet scores,I don't
know if he could have replenished his calcium just
by eating at the hold.I talked to many of the
riders watching their horses on IV and none I talked
to appeared to have over rode their horses,none were
"racing" though I'm sure some horses were there because
of poor judgement or rider error , most riders were just as surprized as I was
to find myself there.
I've recieved alot of replies to my question about
thumping.Some suggesting that pulling a horse for
mild thumps should not be automatic when all other
factors are concidered.I was happy to pull & treat
my otherwise "good to go" horse & would do it again.
I also don't care about anyone's opinion about how
I rode my horse that day.I'm the one who has to
look him in the eye everyday and I know the
only reason he might resent me is that I didn't
let him continue down the trail.He's a great horse
and I'll always error on the side of caution to keep
him that way!