[RC] The Big Horn 100 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Susan Horne esteme@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I, too, was at the Big Horn this year. It was my 4th adventure up and down this
incredibly beautiful trail. I rode and completed it the first three times on Tu
Desireous (Desi), my little chestnut mare, the first time with a dear friend
Marsha Barney, the second time alone and without crew, and the third time with
Jocelyn Stott, a first-time Big Horn rider. And this year I rode with my
husband Dan on his first Big Horn (the Big Horn is the only ride I?ve done
where the 50?s and 100?s start together) on two of our home-bred geldings for
the first 50 miles. How special it was to see it through his eyes!

Dan is new to endurance riding and has heard my stories of the Adelaide Trail,
Boulder Basin, Shag Nasty Trail, and the meadows filled with wild flowers, and
now that he has experienced them from Asi?s back, he believes them. He kept
saying, "Look at that!", and "I had no idea!" over and over! After Dan and Asi
completed their 50 mile ride, our wonderful crew person Judi Page took over
Asi?s care and got him back to camp. Kavod and I continued on to complete the
last 50 miles, and Dan took over the crewing responsibilities, adding that next
year he plans to ride the Big Horn as his first 100 mile ride.

Kavod and I rode the last 50 miles with Janet Fredrickson and Joe Long, as Dan
crewed for me and for them when they were missing crew. We all shared the
beauty of the high mountain meadows, the deep canyons, and the final stretch of
desert terrain together, experiencing the thrill of finishing on horses that
looked great and who had exhibited so much heart, spirit, and strength. The
only whining Kavod did the entire day was when we reached the last 6 miles, and
there was nothing to eat on the trail. For three miles I coaxed and prodded him
on as his nose swept the ground searching for anything to eat. I assured him
camp was close. When we reached the point to which we had pre-ridden the trail,
he smelled home and took off. My only problem was getting back on him after I
opened and closed the final gate, as he did laps around me. As we finished I
told Kavod he?d earned his buckle. He said, "Where?s my food?"

I can?t say enough about the people who work so hard to make this ride happen.
They face challenges from the terrain, the weather, the cattle and elk who love
to eat trail markers, and the small pool of volunteers, and do it all with a
smile and enduring good humor. 80-year-old Tom Van Gelder still marks trail on
foot, and his son motorcycles in from Iowa to help him. Jeanette Tolman is the
ride manager, and also finds time to bake the best pies around and make sure
all of us are well-fed the night before and the morning after. Trail master
Cindy Collins and her husband Keith gave us beautifully marked trail and a
detailed trail description that helped everyone. As anyone who reads Ridecamp
knows, Cindy is also the chief cheerleader for the Big Horn! And where else can
you have fresh caught trout as a snack at a vet check, compliments of Vet Mel
Fillerup? As we went to Dirty Annie?s in the town of Shell and to the Sugar
Shack in Greybull, the local residents asked us about ourselves, why we came,
and where we came from, and then wished us well on the ride.

I have done many 100?s, but none have the allure of the Big Horn. Some might
say it is because I?m from Colorado, and I have a prejudice for my Mountain
Region. That may well play a part, but the pull to return again and again comes
from the challenge of riding your horse thoughtfully and well on that 100 mile
loop through the Big Horn Mountains, the possibility (and twice the reality!)
of seeing one or more bull moose, the warmth and friendliness of the people who
put this on, the opportunity to share the trail with endurance riders from
across the country, and somehow feeling I am riding endurance in its original
state. All 100 mile rides have their individual character, all have their
special challenges that make them unique, and all have their proponents. I have
enjoyed many of them across this country and hope to ride and enjoy many more
of them in the future.

But, quite simply, the Big Horn 100 owns my heart. Thanks to all of you who put
on this incredible ride.

Susan Horne
Franktown, CO