Re: [RC] 'endurance'/LD/fun rides - jamie

--- DVeritas@xxxxxxx wrote:

At some point, "endurance riding" has to happen.

Not really. Lots of people have no desire to do
endurance rides. They have no desire to ride more than
a couple hours at a time. And I see nothing wrong with
that. And most endurance rides are a great way to see
trails that you never normally would get to see. Or to
camp at places that unless you have some sort of
special even, you'd never get to camp. It's a great
way to take some of the planning and scariness out of
horse camping, especially if you're a newbie to the
whole idea.

If a ride manager wants to offer a fun ride, it
shouldn't bother anyone, not for any reason that I can
understand. It's not like anyone's getting any mileage
or points for doing it. But the reason fun rides might
matter to us is that some of the people (and I would
say it's probably a large percentage) go to the fun
ride, and see all the people out doing 25 and more
miles, and they think "wow, that looks like fun, I
might just try it out somewhere down the line." They
might just join AERC and AHA, they might buy a new
horse so they can do more. And a trailer, etc. So in
the long run, it's helping to build the sport, and the
industry to surround the sport as well. Which, if the
industry can't survive, then the sport won't either,
unfortunately.

At least the twenty-five mile ride resembles a fifty
mile endurance  ride, to
the degree of time constraints, vetting, etc.

The fun ride I did had these things. And by the way,
I've done Tevis 5 times --  I did the fun ride for FUN
because I wanted to just have a fun ride with my
non-endurance riding friends.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250