[RC] Tevis/Thumps - sandy . l . holder

Hi Jeanne,

I too was at Tevis - first time for me - and I once had a problem with thumps, so hopefully my free advice is worth what you pay me for it (just kidding here).  Seriously, 2 yrs. ago and 2 yrs. into my boys training we did the QuickSilver ride at Calero park in Almaden (CA bay area).  He looked, acted, pranced even and looked great at the end of the 50 miler.  Anyway, upon arrival he drank some water, was already at 60 so I took him to Michele Rouch the vet.  All A's, including gut sounds (yee-haw I thought).  My friend trotted him out and when Michele rechecked him, he started thumping.  I'll tell you it scared me to death - it took Julie Suhr's encouragement for me to even go to another ride.  Anyway, Michele asked if I wanted blood drawn (excellent vet she is) and I said yes.  Bottom line, he was excellent in all areas but one.  The ratio between calcium and magnesium was way off.  Found out that my 'wonderful' (sarcasm here) elytes CAUSED him to thump.  They were 1:1 versus 8:1 which is what they should have been.  They were Vetline Equilytes.

I threw them in the garbage (had just bought a bunch too) and started my search.  The BEST I found for my horse is EnduraMax.  I pre-load with 1/2 dose for the 3 days before a ride in his feed.  Give him 1/2 dose in his food at vet checks as well as 1/2 dose per stop when he's eaten and/or drank well on the trail (with trough water only and then another full syringe of just water) .  He did exceptionally well at Tevis until I pulled him at FH (metabolically he was all A's except B+ for gut sounds) when he seemed a bit off on right front.  We'd tracked that leg since he received a kick on the back side of Squaw and it was starting to show up.  Probably could have gone further but didn't want to chance it.  He was perfectly sound 3 hours later when we turned him into the arena to roll (and after shaking off decided to go chase one of our other ponies).

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth - oh, that's right, I said it was FREE!

Thanks,
Sandy
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership.