Re: [RC] Horses on IV's/risk? - Truman Prevatt

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

ODon't ever hesitate to use intravenous hydration to help or

save your horse.

I have a question about risk with IV's. I have now run into 3 riders whose horses have lost the use of one of their jugulars (yep, there's 2) to scar tissue caused by an IV. Two of those horses went on to do more 100's with just one jugular, one was Desert Ballad who won the ROC, and came in 4th in the North American on one jugular. The third rider chose to retire a talented horse because she was afraid of what would happen if he lost the other. Is this that common? When I hear that in the UAE they give fluids as a precautionary measure I just wonder were these three unusual cases or should we consider that if a horse is borderline on needing fluids we consider the risk involved?

Angie

It has become common place in college football and professional football for players to have IV fluids at halftime. There have been cases where complications have developed after this process - mostly infection. Any time you compromise the skin - especially directly into the blood stream there is a risk. I think in a borderline case, vet would be the best source of information so you can make the tradeoff.

I sure would not use fluids as a prophylactic measure. IMO for my horse the risk would outweight the benefit.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics