Re: [RC] hmmmm, public perception... - Stacy Sadar

I know!  What a joke.  You know what I started telling people.... Our horses continue to "run" alot longer than other disciplines.  Take a look at how long a race horse lasts...not long.  Yet we have horses winning their division at 20+ years old!  Who else can say that.  I get worked up over this "no way would I sell my horse to an endurance person."  Oh, so you'll sell your horse to the casual trail rider (one that I know) who will let the horse sit in pasture for 6 months and not just go on a 12 mile poker run, but a 4 DAY TRAIL RIDE!!!!  Carrying pack and all!  That horse will never make it to the age our endurances horses are still competing.

Not too long ago I talked with someone at a barn near me because she was "concerned" about an endurance person who called with interest in buying her horse.  Once I explained the whole conditioning, metabolics, etc. when no other horse sport is so specific on the health of the horse and then told her about the people I mentioned above.  She felt much better about sending the horse to a good endurance home instead of the casual trail rider.  Okay....I'm done spewing and spitting.

Stacy

heidi larson <ribbitttreefrog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a friend who was selling her QH and looking at some arab crosses.  After contacting one owner and mentioning that she was looking to maybe start some endurance, the owner told her no way her horse would ever be sold to an endurance home.  Like I told my friend (who had been to a poker ride with me) "let's see, would I want my horse to go to a home that conditions my horse consistantly to get him/her prepared for an event, or have the horse go to a home where it was in a pasture for 6 months and taken on a 12 mile poker ride, standing at the top of a hill with its head between it's knees, panting?"  Not too tough a choice for me!

heidi larson

Chris Paus <paus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If this is what Mr. or Ms. Average Rider thinks of us, then it's a wonder we get any new members at all!

chris

Jody Rogers-Buttram <dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
More power to you.... there isn't much you can do to change that kind of thinking.  If it means anything... at least you know that you have a group of people here on RC that know better.

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine