[RC] changing public perception... - heidi larson

I try to do a few things, show up to poker and trail rides and smile, ALOT!! Be very friendly (I am anyway!) keep my horse in control (pet peeve are trail riders whose horses buck and kick at you and the riders still won't pull over to let you go by!) Have extra good trail ettiquette and keep my horse conditioned well enough that when I pass the panting horses at the top of the hill (owners are usually drinking beer) my guy's nostrils are barely flared!  I rode with a total stranger this past weekend, she was riding alone and so was I, so we hooked up and rode a nice challenging ride near Mt. St. Helens.  She's always wanted to do some endurance, she has a 22 year old horse that could easily do some LD.  I invited her to camp with us later in the summer and I'll pass on the endurance.net site and ride calendar, and even invite her to camp with me at a ride.  I took a newbie to Capital Climb in June, my friend and her morgan did their first 30 mile ride, she may never be an "endurance rider" but she loved the ride, the people and the vets and may do another ride with me in September.  She'll stay at LD and I'll do a 50, but she's fine with that, she was very impressed by how friendly everyone was and how they all offered help and encouragement during her first ride!  THAT'S what will bring in new members!! Some will stay with LD, some may go on to longer distances, but no matter what they do, a good experience will pass by word of mouth and that's the best advertisement!

heidi larson

Chris Paus <paus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Exactly! I don't know what we can do to change these perceptions. I think people imagine that horses are ridden to the brink of exhaustion, forced to go on, whipped and beaten up hills or some gawdawful thing like that.

They don't see the horses outtrotting the riders at the final VC, LOL...

I know when I was competing much more regularly with Star, I think he got adrenaline highs from competing! He'd get grumpy if more than a month went by without doing a ride! I'm sure as far as he's concerned, he just needs me to pay the entry fee. He can do the vet check and the ride without me.

chris

heidi larson <ribbitttreefrog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a friend who was selling her QH and looking at some arab crosses.  After contacting one owner and mentioning that she was looking to maybe start some endurance, the owner told her no way her horse would ever be sold to an endurance home.  Like I told my friend (who had been to a poker ride with me) "let's see, would I want my horse to go to a home that conditions my horse consistantly to get him/her prepared for an event, or have the horse go to a home where it was in a pasture for 6 months and taken on a 12 mile poker ride, standing at the top of a hill with its head between it's knees, panting?"  Not too tough a choice for me!

heidi larson

Chris Paus <paus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If this is what Mr. or Ms. Average Rider thinks of us, then it's a wonder we get any new members at all!

chris

Jody Rogers-Buttram <dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
More power to you.... there isn't much you can do to change that kind of thinking.  If it means anything... at least you know that you have a group of people here on RC that know better.

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine