[RC] 100s - Mike & Laurie Hilyard

This is such a fascinating discussion for me - I agree with Sue Hahn (?) in MN - my life just doesn't let me ride my horses on a weekly basis.  Riding a 5 year old twice a month does not condition for 50s, although my 15 year old gelding could probably handle it.  It's all priorities, I know, but being there for my family and keeping my solid gold credit rating by working (more than) full time trumps the horse time.  I have a weight problem - I'm fat!, and walking myself (and my dogs, who stay home from rides) does more for my fitness than riding that same amount of time.  Until my son is anxious to ride a long way (right now we're still doing leadline stuff with his pony in the pen at home) I'll be doing 25s.

I think part of the perception problem is that it is an either/or case.  Either you do 25s or you do 100s every time out - anything less is just a training ride.  How about convincing people to attempt ONE 100 mile ride every year.  If half of the 50 mile riders attempted one a year, it would increase the participation and increase the bragging rights in the AERC greatly!  Also, I LOVE the idea of more 75s.

My 2 cents

Laurie in Clare