[RC] Tevis - Sherman

Here's the short version....

Yes, we're exhausted! Shadow (Tara's horse) got a slight fetlock injury going through the boulders in the Granite Chief Wilderness. Tara had to walk her for 7 miles to a location that a trailer could pick her up and take her down to Foresthill. Then, Storm (my horse) & I got pulled for "overtime" at Michigan Bluff, mile 63, when we arrived at 7PM. The timers had called it 7PM less than 2 minutes earlier. My watch was set 3 minutes fast according to the timers back at Robinson Flat (36 miles), so I thought we had made the cut-off, but there's no arguing when the officials make a call. I had spent an extra 15 minutes at the vet-check proir to Michigan Bluff, because Storm was eating so well and I didn't want to disturb him. NEXT TIME (:>) I'll have my watch set 10 minutes fast!

Anyway, both the horses are strong & healthy, Shadow is already sound. Wish I could say the same about the riders.....Tara is finally returning to the world. I'm up and about, trying not to get too stiff. I got up on ride morning hardly able to walk, due to back issues (slept on hard, uneven ground), and at each vet check I'd get off 1/4 mile before & walk or run in which is not normally a problem, but with severe sciatic pain it was not fun, then I had to "tail-up" the steepest canyon as I was a bit concerned about Storm. He was mostly lonely without Shadow and kept turning around to find company. He ate well at Deadwood and recovered emotionally as well, it seemed.

I don't think anyone I know completed the ride. If I did my math right, the completion rate was down to about 44%.

It was an incredible ride though. Awesome vistas. Oh, one funny thing is that I was riding alone for quite awhile, no one in sight, and we completely missed Cougar Rock! I decided it was because Storm always assesses the footing and chooses the best way to go, so he probably automatically chose the way around it, and I was distracted just looking at the views, that I didn't realize he'd made a choice for us.

Thanks to you all for your prayers, good thoughts, and advice.

Time to rest for a few days now, then go out & do some easy riding......

Kathy