[RC] [RC] Tevis Coverage - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Joane Pappas White:
It was a most frustrating experience to find so little information on the official Tevis Website...
Joane

I was co-in charge of this year's webcast, so
I'll try and answer some of your questions as
best I can.

As others have said, I have no idea where you
were looking during the event, but it evidently
wasn't where everyone else was looking.

Did you poke around on the "webcast" section
of the website at all? Did you make sure to
hit "refresh" when going to each web page, to
make sure you weren't pulling up a cached version
of each page?

We had links to every check that we were able
to receive reports from, as well as a finishers
list (WiFi straight from the finish line to the
database - so we got our speediest updates ever!),
and a pull list. As far as I know two pulls were
missing from that list - Dabney Finch who we had
to track down after she vanished off our reporting
and Carl Bruno, which was at the finish and we
were never told about.

There were a couple of checks that experienced
problems in reporting (mostly Deadwood and Lower
Quarry), but those were resolved to some extent.
We were able to alert crews at the stadium or
at the finish line about when their rider left
Lower Quarry, so they knew when to expect them in.

We got good reports from Francisco's, which in
the past has been really difficult as they are
down in a hole of a canyon (1000' canyon walls
either side, and they are on a bend in the river).

With the exception of Michigan Bluff, Foresthill
and the finish line (where we were able to position
laptop operators to input the data directly), all
the other check data was supplied over the radio.

I monitored the Tevis Website
all day yesterday and last night for information on how Christoph and our
Husky were doing...

"Husky" looked good all day - in fine flesh and
cheerful going down the trail. At BC judging at
10:30 on Sunday, he was somewhat off during the
trotting part. The vets don't share their other
observations so I can't comment on anything else.

We learned that Cathy had
won---almost two hours after she did.

See Mike Maul's comments.

finally gave up on our pairs, who I knew could not be that far behind,
but after two more hours without information, we could not keep our
eyes
open.

Here you hit the nail on the head. You say you were at
home, yet "couldn't keep your eyes open"... personally I
got 14 minutes sleep (in the horse's stall, while I was
supposed to be watching her after crewing all day) between
2:30 am on Saturday through Sunday afternoon. Prior to that,
I'd gotten 15 hours over three nights since Wednesday morning.

I apologize for wasting those 14 minutes sleeping whenI could have been uploading photos or perhaps writing
up my impressions as to what went on in a field of 200
horses, over 18 vet checks, over 24 hours, with riders
finishing in a 6 hour window.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to post the Haggin Cup winner
as soon as it became available on Sunday afternoon, I
selfishly went home and slept for 13 hours straight
instead, then got up this morning and came to work.

With more volunteers, spread less thin, such things might
be easier.

DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY
INFORMATION?  For Example,  This appears
to be one of the longest first places times in the history of the
Tevis---is that due to a change in trail or was yesterday that hot and
humid?

There was no trail change. It is likely that next year
there will be a new trail out of Robinson Flat, but not
this year.

It was hot and I believe riders rode conservatively
because of it. The vets lowered the pulse criteria at
several checks (the pulse criteria at Foresthill was
set at 60, for example) and were told to pay particular
attention to metabolics at key locations (Michigan Bluff,
after climbing out of the canyon, for example).

They did exit CRIs at both Robinson Flat and Foresthill,
which was excellent. Foresthill also had vets checking
for soundness on exit.

  There was nothing on
the conditions and how the horses and
riders were being affected by them.  Are all the horses and riders
okay this morning?

It was my understanding that the only injury was
sustained by Jan Jeffers who broke her wrist
fending off a fall by her horse when he slipped
on some rocks. This I learned this morning.

Horses were treated - I'm guessing as a precautionary
measure in most cases.

Riders were waddling but were able to make it up the
stairs to be awarded their buckles.

 The coverage gave us
only some basic time
information, it did nothing to help us understand and digest that
information.

All information that appears on the web is supplied
by volunteers. To minimize your frustration next year
you could volunteer yourself to gather this information
on site, type it up, figure out a place to access the web
and upload it. Since the trail covers a 100 miles, actually
gathering this information is a challenge in itself, but
any information that is able to be shared is welcomed,
no matter how small.

I realize how much we have all
come to count on Steph and John's
coverage and evaluations of endurance rides on Endurance Net!  Is
there a reason why Endurance Net did not cover the Tevis?  Last
night one of the Ridecampers commented on the lack of Tevis chatter on
Ridecamp but for some of us, you Ridecampers were a better source of
information than the entire Tevis Website. Thanks for the few bits of
information you shared.

I really don't know what to say to you Joane.

Not to knock Steph and John's efforts which have been
wonderful in the past, but thinking back to their
coverage of UAE as an example: they were positioned
in a (I'm guessing air conditioned) press box right above
the finish line, with full telephone and internet access.
All the vet checks were back at the same site. The ride
was won in 7-8 hours, at which time the ride sort of
closed down and Steph and John had to struggle to glean
any info about other riders. They were able to take photos
from their location and then upload them on their fast
internet connection.

Compare this to Tevis where the database is the only
thing air conditioned and although close, it still
doesn't have a line of site to the finish. There are
18 vet checks and to access them all requires approximately
150 miles of driving (give of take, depending how you
measure it). There are only two checks that may possibly
have telephones anywhere near them, and one of those
has to be pulled in by the local telephone company and
strung on trees for the event. The temperatures are
almost always over 95 degrees in most locations and
most computer equipment starts to complain at over
95 degrees.

I thank everyone else for their encouragement about
the webcast. We did our best and it actually went much
better than I had hoped, after having to make some last
minute volunteer rearrangements.

With Richard Goodwin, database guru stepping down after
this year, I have no idea how it will work next year.
This year might be the last that we are able to provide
this coverage.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=