Re: [RC] probiotics that contain milk products, such as yogurt - heidi

For example, here is what
Catherine Bird, author of A  Healthy  Horse The Natural Way, wrote:

"Some natural heatlh practitioners recommend feeding yoghurt to a horse
with  a troubled digestive sytem, to re-establish the bowel bacteria. In
my   opinion, this unwise. After being weaned, a horese's gut is
intolerant to milk   products. Milk products could even cause a colic
episode in your horse is   particularly sensitive. Horses were never
meant to drink other mammal's milk.  Goat's  milk is for baby goats,
cow's milk is for calves and neither are for  horses,  so please avoid
them.

Yeah, well, folks used to think that tomatoes were poisonous, too...  I'm
waaaay past weaning age, and I don't do well at all if I DON'T drink milk.

As for yogurt, it already has undergone bacterial action, and likely has
already had the lactose altered--and lactose intolerance is the MAIN
reason why A FEW adults do not tolerate milk.

FWIW, the Bedouins often fed their adult horses milk in the desert...  And
in many human cultures, milk is and has been a mainstay in the diet.  I'd
like to see what proof this person can put forth that suggests that horses
automatically become milk-intolerant upon weaning.

(Never mind that the amounts of yogurt fed are not very significant in the
overall diet, even if the lactose in it was NOT changed by bacterial
action...)

Heidi