[RC] Lifting trailer/lowering truck - littlehonda

Hi all. I have a '99 CM Drover trailer that I LOVE. Nothing fancy, just a good steel trailer. This past Feb I got a new Dodge Ram (2500, 4x4). The first time I tried to pull out of my driveway with the trailer, I came within about 1/8 inch of doing a real number on my bed rails. I can't afford a new trailer, and just got the truck, which I don't want to trade.

 So, for the past few months, I've been debating lifting the trailer. For those of you that are familiar with truck lift kits, it will be similar to a "body lift." I was concerned with the safety issue. Today, after reading all of the posts on ridecamp, I gave the CM dealer a call, who, in turn, called the manufacturer. CM, when they are building a pre-ordered trailer that needs to be taller, puts 4" tubing between the axles and the frame/body of the trailer- a "body lift." I asked Richard, the dealer, if it could safely be done to an existing trailer. His answer- yes, if you have a reputable welder and use the strong steel tubing.

So, I have found my answer (and maybe helped someone else). I am going to do the lift, probably using 2" or 3" tubing instead, put on bigger tires/wheels (it's due anyway), AND take out the 4" blocks on my rear suspension (that's stock) and replace them with 2" instead. Clear as mud?

I'll probably try to do this in March. If anyone has any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

littlehonda at comcast dot net

Lindsey Adams