[RC] Go Home horses? - Dot Wiggins

Know one horse that had a real strong tendency to "Go Home" any time he
changed where he lived.  We tried to keep him well fenced in anytime we
moved the horses.  His longest adventure  was over 50 miles.  We thought he
was settled in after about a month, so turned him out around 4 PM.   At
daylight the next morning he was standing in the yard next door to his old
home.  Took me two days to ride him back.
Another horse parted company with a rider on and endurance ride, I think it
was late June or early July.  Lots of people looked but didn't find him.
Hunters caught him that fall, not far from where he was last seen, still
wearing the saddle but no bridle.  Not much the worse for his months on his
own in the mountains.
I also rescued an escapee from an overnite camp.  Lived in the Seattle area,
been to a multi day trail ride, laid over to meet some one for a few days
ride.  Camped alone,  horse got away just before dark.   Started tracking
early mnorning.  Horse didn't follow  trails or old roads unless they were
going directly NW.   Went over down fences, off steep banks, up through the
rocks, any where, as long as it was NW.   Finally quit trying to follow
tracks, just took the easy ways to "cut her off at the pass" so to speak.
Found her while she was thinking about droppping into a big canyon on a cow
trail, still headed for Seattle.  She would have hit a good fence in a few
more miles.  Wondered if she would have  crossed that fence or the cattle
guards?  Or crossed the Snake River?
Horses will do all sorts of stuff, who knows why.