RE: [RC] lost horses - Dolores Arste

Horses are very good at scenting things. There are some folks on the west coast that are teaching horses scent discrimination and use horses to help find downed game.

Of course, when a few horses get out, it depends on what they are looking for. They may not be trying too hard to find the way home. If you've moved recently, I've found they make a bee line for the OLD home. Even at trails far, far away if you give them their heads and send them home, they'll head for their real home, not camp.

If, however, they get lost, I've found they are most comfortable following other horses smells. They like it when other horses or they have been to a place before.

All that said, I'm sure as Ed said some are better than others at wilderness survival. Here's a funny dog story for you. Our friends raised Siberian Huskies as did we. We taught our Siberians to come to "here cookie, cookie" our friends kept rabbits near the kennel. If the dogs got out, they'd always be found trying to find a way into the rabbit hutch.

So...
Dolores