Re: [RC] Tension Headaches and Riding - gary affleck

Yep I have exercises that I use and have used on my players.  But you said you had tension headaches.  Tension headaches are in the front around the temple area.  Yoga, meditation, and some pre visualization before the race, and lighten up; this horse riding is supposed to be F U N.
Now for the exercises.  Shoulder shrugs.  Bring your shoulders up and try and touch your ears and lower slowly.  Shoulder rotations, do as a shoulder shrug but raise them up and rotate them toward your back , making them circle around.  Do these up around and back down, then reverse  and go up toward your back as they get to the top bring them forward.  Basically circles.  Ok, now you may do these one shoulder at a time and you may do these one shoulder and as the shoulder gets to the top, start the other shoulder going.  Then tip your head to the side, trying to touch your ear to your shoulder, then do the other shoulder.  These are stretching movements, that means do them S L O W L Y.  If you do them fast, you can pop your neck out.  Now another for the tension headache in your temples.  Take your thumb and index finger of your right hand and find the V between your thumb and index finger of your left hand.  Put your thumb on the top of that V and squeeze.  Hold it and close your eyes and watch in your minds eye the headache going away.  You should be feeling your pulse from the headache in your thumb.  Takes maybe about 4-5 minutes of constant pressure.  Bingo, it's gone. G.Affleck
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 2:31 PM
Subject: [RC] Tension Headaches and Riding

I was wondering if there are people on this list who might have a similar
affliction to mine.  I tend to get very bad tension headaches and find
that after an event the muscles in my shoulders and neck are like steel
and I have headaches for between 1 and 3 days.

I do have a very bouncy horse (don't have the same problems with my other
one) and even have the same issues sometimes after long training rides.

Does anyone have any stretches or other remedies that they have used
before or during the ride to lessen this problem?  I really try and limit
my medication intake but so far live on ibuprofin after the event.
Thanks,
Benedikte