Re: [RC] Don't lift that trailer! - Stacy Sadar

Sounds like the same problem I had...trying to fit a mass produced trailer to my truck.  Here's a bigger one for you...If you have any warranty left on your trailer and you change the trailer from the way it was manufactured they will void your warranty.  I know because I actually went to Exiss, Featherlite, and all the other big named trailers to ask them to do it for me or even have them "manufacture" a trailer the way I needed for my existing truck with an adapter for the goosneck to fit onto regular truck beds.  Basically, you would unbolt the existing piece that is bolted to the GN right now and bolt on the other piece that would fit a lower bed truck.  All of them said NO Warranty or very little warranty.

The problem we probably all have is that I know my truck will go before the trailer, so I MUST have a trailer that will fit both the high bed truck I currently have and a lower bed truck in the future....and all be level.  I pull with a Chevy 3500HD, but has a custom made flat bed dump.  Problem: No trailer out there fits this truck.  As a matter of fact, take a look as trailers are going down the road...many are not level anyway because so many of the new trucks are higher off the ground.  Not something I'd want to pull with all the weight sitting on the rear of my trailer.  Anyway, I actually found a better built trailer (and less expensive) than all those listed above by going with a Custom Fab trailer.  It was one that could be made the way I needed it...to fit my current truck bed and to fit a future "regular" height truck bed AND without compromising the integrity of the trailer or truck.  I'm extremely happy.  I wouldn't buy another trailer again...especially because I KNOW my trailer will fit ANY truck out there.

I feel for you...I vote for......get a new trailer too!  That's what I did! LOL

Stacy

DaNel Resha <flash_cupid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've always been told to take trailers with you to look at trucks and trucks with you to look at trailers.  Now I know why.

I'm sorry that you are having this trouble but thank you for posting about it.  I hope that you find a solution.  I guess the only way to prevent it is to take trailers when looking at trucks.  Even if you have to take it home with the old truck and get the new one later.  You can check for height fits and such at the lot.

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would take the entire rig to a well equipped and competent trailer shop,and ask them to figure out what the heck is wrong.There are lots of possibilities.Assuming your truck is not one of those old jacked -up crazy trucks from the 1980's,there should be a simple way to correct the set-up.Horse trailers don't need to be any higher off the ground than they already are,for lots of reasons.