From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barbara McCrary
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 9:17 AM
To: bobmorris@xxxxxxxx; 'Ed Kilpatrick'; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] girth sores

I've experienced that, too.  Also, some horses of particular color have more sensitive skin. My chestnut is much more sensitive than any of our bays or grays. When I used a string girth on the chestnut, his skin was pinched between the cords and rubbed raw. I now use a Wintec waffle girth and set it on the middle and rear billets, rather than the front and middle ones. I don't have any more problems.
Speaking of horse colors, if anyone wants to read a fascinating book on that subject, read Ben Green's "The Color of Horses." Green was a vet, and a horseman, who did extensive research on the correlation between the color of the horse's hair and the density of his hooves and toughness of his skin. Both scientific and interesting.  Illustrated with beautiful paintings.

Barbara