[RC] Lions and Tigers and Bears - Dawn Simas

I find it interesting that no horse here on my property over the years (10 of them) have every spooked at the wild cats on site.  My horse spooked once the day he arrived as he was exploring his pasture, which shares a fence line with a cheetah enclosure and a cheetah hit the fence and spit at him.  He did his "drop in place" then backed away.  Next day he could care less.  All horses here routinely nibble the taller grass that grows on fence lines and large cats on the other side pounce at them and all they get in response is an ear flick.  :)

Tigers are legal to own as pets (unfortunately) in many states.  Sometimes when someone is considering getting a permit (if it's even required) the neighbors with horses give them a bad time saying that the smell of a tiger in the neighborhood will make their horses go nuts.  Often we are contacted by horse owners for a Expert Witness letter in a dispute, but I have to inform them that the horses will care less.  Tigers smell no different to them than the barn cat.

On the other hand, I have to agree with Dot on the camels!  My bombproof gelding of 20 year never could get over camels.  This transfered to mules and llamas on the trails too, we'd have to booneycrash off trail to give them a wide berth with poor Jericho's eyes bugging out of his head.  He was quite happy to go home to his lions and tigers.

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue